Apply for a temporary exemption notice

This form should be used to inform the Council of a licensable property that currently does not hold a license but you are taking particular steps which will exempt the property from requiring a license.

The form should be completed by the person in control of or managing the private rented property which is required to be licensed. A separate form must be completed for every property that requires a temporary exemption.

If your application is approved, a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) will be issued which will exempt the premises from licensing for three months.

In certain exceptional circumstances, the temporary exemption can be extended for a further three months. After that, there is no power to exempt the premises and the property must be licensed (if the property still remains licensable). The landlord must advise the council if an extension is required before the expiry of the first temporary exemption notice.

All information provided will be treated in confidence and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulation. It will normally only be used to progress your form. However, as part of our duty under the Housing Act 2004 and for the prevention and detection of fraud, we may also have to share and/or check your information with other agencies including the Police, other Local Authorities and other relevant departments within this Council. Information may also be published by us or other agencies where it is fair and lawful to do so and where we have considered the balance between your rights and the impact of releasing this data for the interests of tenants, other landlords, other local authorities and the general public; and to withhold this information would be unreasonable and/or unlawful.